Justice Home > Corrective Services > Correctional Centres > Serious Offenders Review Council (SORC)

New CSNSW website coming soon! www.correctiveservices.dcj.nsw.gov.au


Deposits into inmate accounts

Corrective Services NSW (CSNSW) has made depositing money into inmate accounts easier by using BPAY or by making a deposit at a post office.

Cash, cheque and money order deposits are not accepted at any correctional centre. 

Inmates rely on money from families and friends to purchase items such as toiletries, magazines, newspapers and to make telephone calls that keep them in contact with their families and friends while in custody.

​Fast facts

  • Families and friends can electronically deposit money by using BPAY (internet and phone banking) or make a deposit using cash or a debit card at any post office.
  • BPAY deposits are free.
  • Australia Post charges a fee for every deposit made at a post office. Check with Australia Post about the fee.
  • The maximum amount which can be deposited per transaction is $100.
  • An inmate can receive up to $600 per month.
  • The General Manager of a correctional centre may approve a deposit greater than $100 to cover an inmate's external medical and/or educational costs.
  • The money deposit can be expected in the inmate's account after 2 working days.
  • Inmates can check the balance of their accounts each month.
  • If an inmate receives more than the maximum $600 in a month, the money will be given to the inmate when released from custody, or it can be returned electronically to the person who made the deposit. CSNSW will require the bank account details of the person who made the deposit.

Families and friends who wish to deposit money need:

  • a Visitor Index Number (VIN) which is allocated the first time a person visits an inmate in a correctional centre;
  • a CSNSW Depositor Reference Report which contains a personalised Customer Reference Number (CRN) (provided only to those over 18) for BPAY and for Australia Post and the BPAY biller code for CSNSW;
  • a different CRN for each inmate account they wish to deposit money into.

The CSNSW Depositor Reference Report can be:

  • obtained by families and friends at the correctional centre when visiting an inmate;
  • sent electronically by CSNSW staff to an email address;
  • posted by CSNSW staff to the home address.

More information

Contact the correctional centre where the inmate is housed.