Justice Home > Corrective Services


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I get a job with Corrective Services NSW?

A. New vacant positions are advertised via the I work for NSW website. Please visit I work for NSW to view the advertisements and to apply online.

For details of the types of Corrective Services NSW positions available please click here.

Please note that you will have to be an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident in order to apply.

If you are a health professional please note that medical services in New South Wales correctional centres are provided by the Justice Health & Forensic Mental Health Network, which is a Statutory Health Corporation and is funded by the NSW Ministry of Health. The Justice Health and Forensic Mental Health Network can be contacted via their website.

Q. How can I contact a friend or relative in custody?

A. If you have a friend or relative in custody, the normal method of contact is by letter addressed to the inmate. If you know the inmate's Master Index Number ('MIN'), that should be written on the front of the envelope. The postal addresses of correctional centres are available on the individual correctional centre's web page on this site. If the correctional centre where the inmate is located is not known, mail can be sent to:

Sentence Administration Branch
Corrective Services NSW
GPO Box 31
Sydney NSW 2001

Q. How can I find out in which prison my friend or family member is located?

A. The provisions of the Privacy and Personal Information Act 1998 restrict what information can be disclosed and the identity of the caller needs to be confirmed before any information can be given. Accordingly, you should telephone the Sentence Administration Branch from 8.30am to 4.30 pm - Monday to Friday on (02) 8346 1000. You can also email the Sentence Administration Branch

Q. Can an inmate telephone me?

A. Corrective Services NSW has an Offender Telephone System that is used by inmates to contact their families, friends and solicitors. Inmates are allowed up to 10 nominated personal numbers (family and friends) and three legal numbers (solicitors). The recommended maximum call duration is six minutes for local personal calls and 10 minutes for legal calls and international personal calls.

There are also preset numbers known as CADL (Common Auto Dial List) numbers. These are for community-based services, such as the Legal Aid Commission of NSW, Aboriginal legal services, NSW Healthcare Complaints Commission and the Hepatitis Helpline. These calls are all free to inmates.  

Q. Can inmates make collect calls?

A. All personal and legal phone numbers are preset and therefore no collect calls can be made on the system. Inmates pay for all calls to their personal and legal numbers.

Q. Are calls made by inmates monitored?

A. All personal calls on the Controlled Telephone System are monitored and recorded. Some, but not all, common list calls are monitored and recorded and legal calls may be monitored.

Q. Can I send money to an inmate?

A. Corrective Services NSW (CSNSW) has made depositing money into inmate accounts easier. Families and friends can electronically deposit money by using BPAY (internet and phone banking) or make a deposit using cash or a debit card at any post office. CSNSW has phased out cash, cheque and money order deposits at all its correctional centres. Visit our e-banking page to learn more about depositing money into an inmate's account.

Q. Can I get my friend or relative transferred to a different correctional centre or moved out of maximum security?

A. Any Classification or Placement concerns from family or friends of Inmates should be forwarded in the first instance to the Officer In Charge (OIC) of the Correctional Centre where the Inmate is housed. 
Further enquiries may subsequently be made in writing and mailed to:
Office of the Commissioner
Corrective Services NSW
GPO Box 31
Sydney NSW 2001

Q. Who runs Junee and Parklea Correctional Centres?

A. Junee and Parklea Correctional Centres are privately operated correctional centres in New South Wales. They are operated by the GEO Group. The GEO Group can be contacted via their website.  

Q. My family is trying to trace its family tree and we think one of our dead relatives was either in prison or working in one early last century; can you help?

A. You should first make enquiries via the State Records website. Records older than 70 years that are held by Corrective Services NSW can be accessed through:

Corporate Records
Phone 02 9289 5543 
Email Corporate.RecordsCS@justice.nsw.gov.au

Q. We are trying to find one of our relatives who used to be an employee or inmate of Corrective Services, what should we do?

A. If the documents you seek from Corrective Services NSW relate to a person and are less than 70 years old, in most cases you should make a formal access application under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act).

Applications and requests under the GIPA Act should be sent to:

Manager, Information Access & Privacy Unit
Corrective Services NSW
GPO Box 31
Phone: 02 8346 1067, 02 8346 1359, 02 8346 1329 or 02 8346 1476
Fax: 02 8346 1976

GIPA Act application forms may be obtained from the above address or from the Information Access Privacy unit document page.

An application fee of $20 ($10 in cases of hardship or where public interest is demonstrated) must be paid. Processing charges may also apply.

Q. Can I send some clothes to a friend or relative who is in prison?

A. There are some restrictions on the type and amount of property inmates are allowed to have. Allowable inmate property varies depending on, for example, whether the inmate is male or female, convicted or on remand. You should therefore contact the correctional centre to find out what items may be sent to a particular inmate. The contact details for correctional centres are available from the individual correctional centre's pages on this website.