The Illawarra Reintegration Centre opened on 2 June 2017 to accommodate 60 minimum security offenders.
34-40 Lady Penryhn Drive
Unanderra NSW 2526
Phone: (02) 4239 7700 Fax: (02) 4239 7770
PO Box 367,
Unanderra, NSW, 2526
The centre is located approximately 98 km south of Sydney, 9 km south of Wollongong, 190 km north of Batemans Bay and 224 km north west of Canberra.
City Rail Trains - 131 500
The nearest railway station (Unanderra) is located 1 km west of the centre. Visit NSW TrainLink for timetables
Taxis & Coaches – 02 4254 2111
From Sydney, follow the M1 south down Mount Ousley. Take the Five Islands Road exit. Turn left into Five Islands Road. Turn right at the roundabout into Glastonbury Avenue. Turn right into Berkeley Road Turn left into Lady Penryhn Drive. Continue along Lady Penryhn Drive to the gaol which is set back on the right hand side of the road up a driveway.
Visitor Parking is available on site. Disabled parking and access also provided on site.
Inmates are able to have one visit a week, allowing a maximum of four adult visitors only or two adult visitors and a manageable number of children (maximum four children).
All visits must be pre-booked by calling (02) 4239 7700 on Monday or Friday between 10am and 2pm. Please provide details of every person visiting.
Saturday and Sunday: 8.30am - 11am
12pm – 2pm
· Visitors should phone the Centre before travelling on the morning of the visit to confirm that the Centre will be operating visits on the day.
· Each visit group is permitted to bring up to $40 (including small denominations and coins as limited change available) for prepackaged visit snack bags.
· Appropriate clothing must be worn (no midriffs, low-cut, backless, sleeveless, strapless tops or short skirts).
· All jewellery must be removed including ear and body piercings (with the exception of wedding bands).
· All visitors will be subject to a search by a metal detector.
· Any necessary medications will require a medical certificate.
· Metal implants will need to be supported by a medical certificate.
· Use of toilets is prohibited in the visits area unless a medical certificate is provided stating necessity.
· No hooded jumpers/jackets, hats, scarves, handkerchiefs or sunglasses.
· No photos, letters, magazines, cigarettes, cameras, mobile phones, pets, alcohol, drugs, syringes, weapons, blankets, folding money, food or drink to be taken into the centre.
· No item of clothing is to be removed in the visits area.
· No offensive or sexual behaviour is allowed.
· Failure to comply with any direction may result in your visit being denied.
Visitors may deposit up to $600 per calendar month electronically into an inmate's account.
Visitors can leave 6 pairs of socks and 6 pairs of underpants for inmates at the visits counter. This property must be new and in unopened packaging. No boxer shorts, singlets, shirts etc. will be accepted.
Legal and Professional Visits and Telephone Calls
The requesting party must submit in writing on letterhead and be addressed to the Manager of Security,
Times and days legal and professional visits and phone calls can take place are as follows:
· Tuesday 10.30am - 1.30pm
· Wednesday 10.30am - 1.30pm
· Thursday 10.30am - 1.30pm
On arrival to the centre please present your:
· Current Law Society Identification Card
· Written confirmation of appointment
The Offender Services and Programs team offers a range of treatment programs and services to reduce recidivism and to improve offender's motivation to participate in offence-related, transitional and resettlement programs.
Inmates are offered employment and vocational training opportunities while in custody. Employment and training opportunities for offenders at Illawarra Reintegration Centre will be strongly focused on community projects work.